General--A Minor Annoyance

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64045] General--A Minor Annoyance
  • From: ntgladd at gladd.com
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 02:24:26 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

RSI has me looking for ways to reduce keystrokes and mouse gestures.

I type a jillion cells a year and when I enter a new cell and want to change it's style I have two basic choices

1) type a few characters
2) select the cell with mouse left
3) mouse right and choose cell type from Style
   (alternatively, I can select Format -> Style from the top menu)
   (alternatively I can type Alt-7 [for text] after the cell in selected)

I can also change the style of a cell completely with the keyboard
1) type a few characters
2) select the cell with ExpandSelection  (but this takes a few presses of Ctrl > and it's easy to over expand)
3) Change the style with Alt-7
3) Move the selection point back inside the cell with left arrow.

It seems to me that this should to be easy to do with just two keystrokes,  For example
Ctrl S (to select the encompassing cell) Alt7 to change it to text, or even better, just
Ctrl S7

The completion command Ctrl K seems to contain most of the steps required to do this. It must select the cell, identify the preceding text, pop up a menu with possible completions, and then modify the contents of the cell.

I am not much of a front-end programmer but suspect that many on this forum are good at it. Has anyone written anything like this? Or does anyone have a better suggestion for efficiently changing the type of cell when the selection point is within the cell.

Thanks,
Tom

Link to the forum page for this post:
http://www.mathematica-users.org/webMathematica/wiki/wiki.jsp?pageName=Special:Forum_ViewTopic&pid=7909#p7909