Re: Beginner--Simplest question: How to control some values in Input dialog box

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg67755] Re: Beginner--Simplest question: How to control some values in Input dialog box
  • From: bghiggins at ucdavis.edu
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 06:53:45 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

If you are not using webMathematica then one approach is to do the
following for say the CN parameter

inputTest[x_] := Switch[x, _?(IntegerQ[#] && # > 0 &),
     CN = x, _?(! (IntegerQ[#] && # > 0) &), inputTest[Input["Your
input
    was not a positive Integer!\nPlease give an positive integer value
    to CN"]]]

inputTest[Input["Give an positive integer value to CN"]]

This test will continue to display a dialog box until the user inputs
the correct data. One can readily modifythe test to "break if you have
say more than 5 unsuccessful tries by inserting a counter into the
test.

If you are using webMathematica and the input is through a  html Form
construct, then the best way is to  use JavaScript that tests the form
input before passing the input to the webMathematica server.

Hope this helps,

Brian