Re: Speed challenge: Improve on integer frequencies from Count?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg67804] Re: [mg67739] Speed challenge: Improve on integer frequencies from Count?
  • From: János <janos.lobb at yale.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 04:56:17 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Jul 6, 2006, at 6:52 AM, Gareth Russell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A challenge for the efficiency gurus:
>
> Given a list of integers whose possible values lie in the range 0 to
> maxInt, with any given integer represented 0, 1 or multiple times,
> e.g., what you would get from
>
> Table[Random[Integer, {0, maxInt}], {1000}]
>
> create a list of frequencies of values including ALL possible values
> (i.e., not the basic output of Frequencies[], because that only
> includes values present in the list.
>
> The fastest I have been able to come up with is the obvious use of
> Count[]...
>
> In[256]:=
> myFrequencies=Compile[{{myList,_Integer,1},{
>     maxInt,_Integer}},Table[Count[myList,i],{i,0,maxInt}]]
>
> Out[256]=
> CompiledFunction[{myList,maxInt},Table[Count[myList,i],{i,
> 0,maxInt}],-\
> CompiledCode-]
>
> In[278]:=
> testList=Table[Random[Integer,{0,500}],{1000}];
>
> In[281]:=
> Timing[Do[myFrequencies[testList,500];,{1000}]]
>
> Out[281]=
> {2.3103 Second,Null}
>
> However, it seems to me that this should be able to be improved upon,
> because it scans the whole list maxInt times. One should be able to
> scan the list once, and increment a frequency list in the right
> places,
> perhaps with a For[] loop. But try as I might, I can't come up with a
> version that is faster than the compiled Count[] version above.
>
> Can anyone do it?
>
> Gareth
>
> --
> Gareth Russell
> NJIT

Here is the /hopefully/ shortest newbie approach :)

In[113]:=
rnd = Table[Random[Integer,
     {0, 500}], {1000}]

In[114]:=
tbl = Table[0, {500}]

In[125]:=
(tbl[[#1]]++ & ) /@ rnd

Then the number part in tbl[[0]] will contain the frequency of zero
and tbl[[i]] the frequency of i.  0.034982 Second on my machine.  I
do not know if it can be compiled or not.

János

P.S.  A longer one:
In[143]:=
Timing[First[Last[