How to call Nminimize inside another Nminimize

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg67876] How to call Nminimize inside another Nminimize
  • From: "Ali" <san2r at virginia.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 05:58:49 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am trying to use NMinimize command to find the minimum value of a
function which contains another NMinimize call in itself with
constraints depending on the function input and I am getting
"NMinimize::bcons Constraints should be equalities, inequalities,
or domain specifications involving the variables" error message. A
simple example will be:
f1[x_, y_] := NMinimize[{t^2, t > x, t < y}, t]
f2[z_]:= NMinimize[{f1[x,y],x>-z,x<z,y>-z,y<z},{x,y}]
I was wondering what would be the best way to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance,
Best,
Ali