Odd graphic, looks different in different Adobe apps

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg67875] Odd graphic, looks different in different Adobe apps
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 05:58:46 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Received a PDF file that contains only a small graphic, 3.2 X 2.6 inches
in size.

The graphic is a 3D surface plot of a simple function (a "dimpled hat").
Don't know how it was created originally but it looks very much like a
default Mathematica 3D graphic: similar lighting and purplish colors,
similar axes, similar surface mesh in x and y directions.

PDF file opens and graphic looks fine in Acrobat 7.0 Standard and in
Photoshop Elements.

If you try to extract the graphic from the PDF file using Acrobat in any
available format, you get an error message: "Acrobat could not extract
any images from this document.  Only images containing bitmap or raster
data can be exported".

PDF file also opens OK in Illustrator CS 11 -- but the image looks
terrible: mesh lines are so wide that only tiny patches of color show
through.  Magnifying the image doesn't help.

Underlying vector graphics data is apparently all there, however, since
can select any one trapezoid of the mesh -- in fact a single click on
any of the mesh lines selects only a single trapezoid -- and then use a
"Select Same Stroke Color" command to select the entire mesh and the
plot axes.  Changing the stroke weight from initial 5 pt to 1 pt then
makes the graphic look great.

I'm just curious to understand why this thing behaves this way?  I do a
fair number of back and forth Mathematica <> Illustrator <> Acrobat
conversions, and understanding this one might help me with some future
hassle.