Re: Mathematica doesn't know what it's doing.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg67915] Re: Mathematica doesn't know what it's doing.
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 05:39:34 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <e6gfcf$o0n$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at globalsymmetry.com> wrote:

> Here is an example where the Mathematica approach to document structure does
> not correspond to what I want.  If I decide to use the section grouping
> provided with style sheets to place theorems in the hierarchical structure
> of my document then I cannot place theorems at arbitrary depth in the
> document structure.  For example, suppose I decide that my document will
> have chapters organized into sections, and then theorems will be treated as
> subsections.  Now, what happens if I come to realize that the current
> concept would be better treated as two subsections?  My theorems are not
> part of the subsections, they become peers of them.

And that is why Sections have a grouping rule with a precedence. The
standard precedence of SubSection is

  CellGroupingRules->{"SectionGrouping", 40}

From the online documentation for CellGroupingRules,

  CellGroupingRules can also be set to {type, n}, where n is an integer
  that gives the precedence of the grouping relative to other cells of
  the same type and type is selected from the list given above.

I think you can work out how to keep your theorems where you want them.

Cheers,
Paul

Paul Abbott                                      Phone:  61 8 6488 2734
School of Physics, M013                            Fax: +61 8 6488 1014
The University of Western Australia         (CRICOS Provider No 00126G)
AUSTRALIA                               http://physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul