Re: Odd graphic, looks different in different Adobe apps

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg67921] Re: Odd graphic, looks different in different Adobe apps
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 02:11:16 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <e959q0$dpg$1 at smc.vnet.net>, "ragfield" <ragfield at gmail.com>
wrote:

> AES wrote:
> > Received a PDF file that contains only a small graphic, 3.2 X 2.6 inches
> > in size.
> >
> > The graphic is a 3D surface plot of a simple function (a "dimpled hat").
> > Don't know how it was created originally but it looks very much like a
> > default Mathematica 3D graphic: similar lighting and purplish colors,
> > similar axes, similar surface mesh in x and y directions.
>
> How was the PDF file created (by what application)?  Check the
> creator/producer tags in the document info window in Acrobat (or
> similar).
>
> -Rob

It was indeed created in Mathematica.

I still have no idea why the mesh lines looked fine in Acrobat, but were
way oversize [i.e., thick] when the graphic was opened in Illustrator.

Would like to know this, for general education, but since the problem is
fixable by changing the stroke of these lines in Illustrator, I've
stopping fretting about it otherwise.