Re: Clustering as constraint solving

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg67953] Re: Clustering as constraint solving
  • From: "Steve Luttrell" <steve_usenet at _removemefirst_luttrell.org.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 05:50:40 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The standard approach to solving your problem is to use the LBG
(Linde-Buzo-Gray) algorithm for optimising a vector quantiser. This is an
iterative algorithm that optimises precisely the 4 conditions that you
specify. Overall, this optimisation process is highly non-linear, so I don't
think you will find a closed-form solution except in highly symmetric cases.

Steve Luttrell
West Malvern, UK

news:e9frm8$2m7$1 at smc.vnet.net...