Re: Norm

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg67994] Re: Norm
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 06:04:37 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

and why do you think, that
Norm[{{0., 1.}, {5., 1.}}, 2]
which computes the maximum singular value of
{{0., 1.},
 {5., 1.}}
has something to do with
Norm[{{0., 1.} - {5., 1.}}, 2]
which compute the Euclidian distance ??

And all this stand in the
Help-Browser and in the reference of The
Mathematica
book ...

Regards
  Jens

<Clausenator at gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:e9kuel$l3h$1 at smc.vnet.net...
| Hi,
| I want to calculate a distance matrix, similar
to (as poorly explained
| at) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distance_matrix
|
| I found out about the Function "Norm" in
mathematica 5.

| Here is a little example. I want to calculate
the distance between
5

| Now,
|
| Norm[{{0., 1.}, {5., 1.}}, 2]
| results 5.10293
|
| Norm[{{0., 1.} - {5., 1.}}, 2]
| results 5.0
|
| According to the documentation I have
(Mathematica Help Browser, search
| for "Norm" under "Built-in Functions") the
version with the comma is
| documented. I like the solution with the dash
better.
| Which one is it? In other words, is there some
Wolfram description or