Re: Norm

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg68000] Re: [mg67973] Norm
  • From: "Carl K. Woll" <carlw at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 06:04:42 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Clausenator at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to calculate a distance matrix, similar to (as poorly explained
> at) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distance_matrix
>
> I found out about the Function "Norm" in mathematica 5.
>
> Here is a little example. I want to calculate the distance between
> vectors {0,1} and {5,1}. The distance should be 5
>
> Now,
>
> Norm[{{0., 1.}, {5., 1.}}, 2]
> results 5.10293

Here you are computing the 2-norm of a matrix.

> Norm[{{0., 1.} - {5., 1.}}, 2]
> results 5.0

Here you are computing the 2-norm of a vector.

The norms of a matrix and a vector are not the same thing. Since you are
interested in the distance between two points, you want to compute the
magnitude of the difference of the two points, so you want to evaluate
the norm of point1 minus point2.

Carl Woll
Wolfram Research