Deleting charachter from a text file

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg68131] Deleting charachter from a text file
  • From: "Giacomo Ciani" <giacomo.ciani at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 04:01:31 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

I'm using direct access to text files to save data my program
generates. So I use a syntax like:

OpenWrite[file];
WriteString[file,"text"];
WriteString[file,"text2"];
Ecc...
Close[file]

I would like to be able to remove some characters (i.e. the last two
characters) from the file before writing new ones (as an example, I
could need to remove the "xt" character of the word "text" before
writing the word "text2"). How can I accomplish this? I can't find any
function in the documentation to remove characters from a file...

Thanks

Giacomo