Re: Graphics export quality-methods and defaults

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg68173] Re: Graphics export quality-methods and defaults
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 05:29:52 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <ea72nn$k6u$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 "kevin_jazz" <kevinbowman at mac.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to understand how Mathematica generates graphics within
> notebooks and how they are exported.  I'm running Mathematica 5.2 on OS
> 10.4.6.  I've generated a listplot
> lplot = ListPlot[....]

FWIW, I'll describe just one specific export method for one specific
case, that works for me.

The objective is generating an animation with a large number of plots or
graphics (maybe 50 or upwards), using OS 10.3.9 in my case, and
converting/exporting them into a QuickTime movie/slide show.

I usually work with screen magnification 125 or 150% (because of small
screen and aging eyeballs) and output wrapped to window width.

1)  Plots are generated with an appropriate iteration of some time,
followed by final command:

   NotebookFind[EvaluationNotebook, "Graphics", All, CellStyle];

(or option-click on any one graphic cell line).  Can then animate these
selected graphics with cmd-Y and (on my Mac at least) pause the
animation and single-step with up/down arrow keys.

I set graphic size with the ImageSize option, either w*72 in inches, or
(w,h)*72, and adjust w, h,  and other graphics options (e.g.
AspectRatio, various thicknesses and font sizes) so individual plots
look OK in size and content on my screen.

2)  The key point is, **make the final run of the notebook with
magnification set back to 100%** (and graphics options so that images
look good with this).  Then, with all graphics selected as above, use
menu command

   Edit >> Save Selection As >> QuickTime...

The slides may appear to be cut off in the QuickTime dialog that opens
-- but the actual movie frames in the resulting QuickTime movie be OK,
and essentially the same size and shape as the Mathematica display.  (This will
NOT be true if you forget to change the magnification back to 100%.)

This procedure works for me; you can make *big* slides, with nonstandard
aspect ratios this way.  YMMV.  There may be a way to get the same
results with an Export command; I've stuck with this 'cause it works.

   --AES