RE: Plot3D help please

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg68215] RE: [mg68174] Plot3D help please
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 01:00:48 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

If you want to make the plot without having jagged boundaries you could use
the DrawGraphics package from my web site below.

It contains two possible methods. The first method uses an
IteratorSubstitution method that reparametrizes rh[td,tw] to rh[td,w] (and
also tw -> tw[w]) where w does have a fixed range. Then you can make a
smooth plot with

ParametricPlot3D[{td, tw[w], rh[td, w]}, {td, min, max}, {w,0,1}];

A second method is to make a 2D grid of Polygons with MakePolyGrids, and
then trim the polygons to your plot domain with TrimPolygonsBoole using a
boolean expression for your domain. The resulting smooth polygons can then
be raised to your 3D surface with RaiseTo3D.

If you gave me a specific function I could make a plot for you.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: 1156 [mailto:rob at piovere.com]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

Hi, I'd like to use Plot3D where the range of two independent variables
interact. That is, in the example below I'd like to specify the range of
td and have the other variable's range be dependent upon td. All this
because the variable tw must always be less or equal to td for the
function rh to make sense. rh has been previously defined in terms of td
and tw.

Plot3D[rh, {td, 20, 30}, {tw, td - 5, td}]

I would appreciate any tips on how to pull this off.