RE: Log Function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg68223] RE: [mg68176] Log Function
  • From: "David Annetts" <davidannetts at aapt.net.au>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 04:47:45 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Joe,

> I am very new so please be gentle. I am attempting to use Mathematica
> 5.2 for the first time and I am in trouble already. I want to
> take the log of 15. I have tried log[2., 15] and I get an
> echo. I tried N[log[2.,15]] I get a buzzer. What am I doing wrong?

Firstly, not reading the part of the getting started guide that says
"Built-in functions are capitalized.".  Even searching for log in the online
help would've given you the correct answer.

If you're very new then the best advice I can give is to work through
everything in the section of the Mathematica book entitled A practical
introduction to Mathematica before starting on your own work.  Even there,
section 1.1.3 gives you the correct syntax.

Regards,

Dave.