Re: Using Mathlink to export arrays

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg67130] Re: Using Mathlink to export arrays
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 04:53:22 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

a) using char, short, int is not your problem
b) when you pass the data not with Manual to your
   your C-program store it twice. To avoid thiy
you must
   pass the data as Manual get the list in the
   copy it to your data and dispose the data in
the link.
c) since Mathematica hold the data always ans int
you should
   only pass int to the C-program and check in
your C-code
   what data type fits for the range of the input
d) for doubles you can setup a second pattern

"Amy" <amy.squillacote at> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:e6b4ve$cn5$1 at
| Hi,
| I am using Mathlink to move arrays with depth=3
from Mathematica
| (version 5.2) into a C++ program I am
developing. I want to represent
| the data in my program as fully as possible
(i.e., avoid casting to
| another data type), but I also don't want to use
more memory than is
| necessary to store the data. My program handles
arrays of any type of
| integer data (short integer, integer, and long
integer) as well
| floating-point data (stored as float, not
double, in C++). I am trying
| to figure out how to determine from Mathematica
what type (and which
| MLGet***Array method) I should use based on the
data array coming from
| Mathematica.
| I first tried the following.
| if (MLGetShortIntegerArray(...))
|  {
|  // do something
|  }
| else if (MLGetIntegerArray(...))
|  {
|  // do something else
|  }
| else if (MLGetLongIntegerArray(...))
|  {
|  // do something else
|  }
| else if (MLGetFloatArray(...))
|  {
|  // do something else
|  }
| else
|  {
|  // fail
|  }
| I thought if I passed in floating-point data
that the
| MLGet***IntegerArray methods would return 0 (for
failure), but they did
| not. Instead the MLGetShortIntegerArray method
was used, and the
| floating-point data in the array was cast to a
short integer type.
| I then tried to change my .tm file so the
Pattern only accepted integer
| arrays (intending to create a separate function
for handling
| floating-point arrays), but I could not get that
to work either;
| neither my integer or floating point arrays were
accepted. The relevant