Interrogating lists of unequal lenghths

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg67367] Interrogating lists of unequal lenghths
  • From: "kevin_jazz" <kevinbowman at mac.com>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 02:15:02 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm trying to understand how to assess the dimensions of a list
containing elements of unequal length.
Let's say I have the list with elements of equal sizes

In[12]:=
y={{1,2},{3,4},{5,6}}

Out[12]=
{{1,2},{3,4},{5,6}}

In[13]:=
Dimensions[y]

Out[13]=
{3,2}

Using the Dimensions function I can determine the size of the resulting
array. If, on the other hand, I set up the following list

In[5]:=
x={{1},{2,3},{4,5,6,7}}

In[6]:=
Dimensions[x]

Out[6]=
{3}

The Dimensions command tells me I have only 3 elements.  But, I need
some way to figure out that the first sublist has length 1, second has
length 2, and the third has length 4 in some automated fashion. I've
looked through the other commands like Depth and Length but I don't see
anything that does this.

What's the right to do it?

Thanks,

Kevin