Getting Color *names* as strings?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg67473] Getting Color *names* as strings?
  • From: AES <siegman at>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 03:14:46 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Trying out different named Colors in a plot by using

   greens={CinnabarGreen, ChromeOxideGreen, CobaltGreen, etc};

   Do[ Plot[ func, range, PlotStyle -> greens[[k]],
                    PlotLabel -> ToString[greens[[k]]] ] ,
         {k, 1, Length[greens]} ];

Works fine -- except the PlotLabel comes out as "RGB[num, num, num]" --
and using SymbolName[greens[[1]]] or even SymbolName[CinnabarGreen] does
_not_ give the string "CinnabarGreen".

How can I get the *name* of each color as a string to put in PlotLabel
or in a Text label?

(Trivial problem, I agree, but just frustrating enough to be interesting)