Re: Getting Color *names* as strings?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg67486] Re: Getting Color *names* as strings?
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 03:51:34 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

greens={"CinnabarGreen", "ChromeOxideGreen",

 Do[ Plot[ func, range, PlotStyle ->
                    PlotLabel -> greens[[k]] ] ,
        {k, 1, Length[greens]} ];

may help.

"AES" <siegman at> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:e7qmpk$6ne$1 at
| Trying out different named Colors in a plot by
|   greens={CinnabarGreen, ChromeOxideGreen,
CobaltGreen, etc};
|   Do[ Plot[ func, range, PlotStyle ->
|                    PlotLabel ->
ToString[greens[[k]]] ] ,
|         {k, 1, Length[greens]} ];
| Works fine -- except the PlotLabel comes out as
"RGB[num, num, num]" --
| and using SymbolName[greens[[1]]] or even
SymbolName[CinnabarGreen] does
| _not_ give the string "CinnabarGreen".
| How can I get the *name* of each color as a
string to put in PlotLabel
| or in a Text label?
| (Trivial problem, I agree, but just frustrating
enough to be interesting)