Problem with Import and/or J/Link

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg64810] Problem with Import and/or J/Link
  • From: "John Jowett" <John.Jowett at>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 02:35:21 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

{I already posted this problem deep inside another thread but didn't get an
answer.  I'd really like one so I'll try again.)

I have Mathematica 5.2 on Windows XP

While I can import data from the Web from a sufficiently "simple" URL, e.g.

Import["";, "Lines"]

I find that when I try a less "simple" URL such as

then I just get errors like
Java::excptn: A Java exception occurred: The filename,
directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect
at Method)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(\

This was the example URL from the earlier posting.  Apparently it works fine
for other people.  In fact, it also works for me if I switch to a remote
kernel running on a Linux computer.

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong in my setup ?    I would really like
to be able to use this kind of data access.

(As mentioned in my earlier post the J/Link example notebook GetURL seems to

John Jowett