Optimizing memory

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg64839] Optimizing memory
  • From: Sensei <senseiwa at>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 03:18:58 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I wrote a parser for PDB files that calculates atom and residue
inertia matrices, and I am sure I have written the worst code ever :)
I'm new to Mathematica, so I don't think I know how to optimize my
code. One particular concern is this.

Using Module[] and defining many local symbols, is the memory
associated to them deallocated when the call exits? Or is it possible
to force memory deallocation?

    { (* many symbols *) },
    symbol1 = ...;
    symbol2 = ...;
    (* very BIG memory allocation *)

Thanks for any information!

Sensei <senseiwa at>

The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears it is true.      [J. Robert Oppenheimer]