Re: simplifying a summation / integral

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64828] Re: simplifying a summation / integral
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 03:18:46 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Patrik wrote:
> Jean, Paul:
>
> Thanks for your comments.
>
> Yes I tried those and got the hypergeometricPFQ functions. But, I need to take the derivative of the summation and hence do not mind making approximations if that helps get a simple looking derivative (the derivative is part of a first order condition and hence I've to substitute the derivative in an equation & solve for x). The hypergeometricPFQ is not suited for that.
>
> Thanks,
> Kartik

Indeed, if you take the derivative  the following function f in the
variable x and depending on the parameter q, you get a simple derivative
  which is the same as the derivative of the sum after simplification.
Hope this is what you are looking for.

In[1]:= f[q_][x_] := Sum[Binomial[q, r]*(x^r/r), {r, 1, q}]

In[2]:= f[q][x]

Out[2]= q*x*HypergeometricPFQ[{1, 1, 1 - q}, {2, 2}, -x]

In[3]:= f[q]'[x]

Out[3]=
-1 + (1 + x)
-------------

In[4]:= D[Sum[Binomial[q, r]*(x^r/r), {r, 1, q}], x]

Out[4]=
    -1 + (1 + x)
q (------------- - HypergeometricPFQ[{1, 1, 1 - q},
         q x

    HypergeometricPFQ[{1, 1, 1 - q}, {2, 2}, -x]

In[5]:= Simplify[%]

Out[5]=
-1 + (1 + x)

Best regards,