Re: Re: Multiple application of LinearFilter

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg64901] Re: [mg64856] Re: Multiple application of LinearFilter
  • From: "Lea Rebanks" <lrebanks at>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 06:11:51 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Many thanks for your note Steve.
I shall look into that
Best Regards - Lea Rebanks...

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Luttrell
To: mathgroup at
[mailto:steve_usenet at]

You can short-circuit this iterative filtering.

A sequence of linear filterings is itself a linear filtering, so you
implement a sequence of any number of linear filterings as a single
filtering that you can deduce from the composition of the individual
filterings in the seqeunce.

Furthermore, if the linear filterings are actually convolutions (i.e.
invariant) then you can implement the sequence of linear filterings
in Fourier space by using the convolution theorem.

I strongly urge you to read a book on signal processing, linear
and all that.

Steve Luttrell

news:dubjps$h0t$1 at