Mathematica and Education

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64934] Mathematica and Education
  • From: "fizzy" <fizzycist at knology.net>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 00:59:50 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Recently, there were several discussions regarding the use of
Mathematica in the classroom, etc...   I just took a course in Advanced
Electromagnetic Engineering and I'm happy to say that I did not perform
a single pencil and paper operation.    I did all the homework and exams
using  Mathematica.    Also,  in hindsight, without Mathematica I would
never take the course nor can I conceive of how I could without it
although I realize there was a time where people did work without
Mathematica.    The amount of  homework was horrendous and how you could
do it with pencil and paper operations is beyond me.    In fact, I've
gotten so used to Mathematica that if I were told I can no longer use
it in my work, etc. , I would give Science up.   That is how attached
I've become to Mathematica and how much more enjoyment I've gotten out
of Science problems using it.

Also, when I have to use other languages I feel like a Programmer and I
dont relish that at all.  With Mathematica I actually feel that I'm
doing some thinking and analyzing instead of just writing lines of code.

Jerry Blimbaum