Re: Factoring

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg65111] Re: Factoring
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.ch>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 06:28:23 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Matt,
the following may be too simple for you, but try it.
expr is the expression you want to factor and pat is the factor you want
to extract:

MyFactor[expr_, pat_] := pat((#/pat) & /@ expr);

E.g. with 4*x*I*Sin[t] + 28*x^3*I*Cos[t] you would write:
expr = 4*x*I*Sin[t] + 28*x^3*I*Cos[t];
MyFactor[expr, 2 x I]

and will get:
2*I*x*(14*x^2*Cos[t] + 2*Sin[t])