Exporting plots with the kernel

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg65323] Exporting plots with the kernel
  • From: kalymereau at yahoo.fr
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 05:44:07 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Actually I have just discovered that, independently of font problems,
when running Mathematica in a command-line way (i.e. just the kernel)
it is not possible to export a plot to a file in any graphical format
if there is no X-server running ! Only the FrontEnd seems to know how
to export a plot.

This is really a strange behavior ! Even with Postscript it doesn't
work. For example
Display["plot.eps",myPlot,"EPS"] produces an error if there is no
X-server (the same with Export). I can use Display["plot.eps",myPlot]
to produce a file that seems to be in Mathematica specific Postscript
language, but then this file cannot be read with standard Postscript
viewers. Is there a way to translate this file to a more standard
format ?

I know that I can produce the numerical data with the kernel, and then
read it and plot it with the FrontEnd. But I am talking about the
result of quite long calculations, and I would like to check the output
quickly with a plot without having to launch the FrontEnd. Also I am
often out of office, and I have to run batch  jobs on my office
machines: in such a situation I want the plots without being obliged to
have access to a local Mathematica FrontEnd.

Thanks for any suggestion that would help me to bypass this severe
limitation of the kernel.