  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg65343] Re: [mg65320] Writing prime factor decomposision in conventional form
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 06:56:17 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Wolfgang,

I'm sure something like this is somewhere in the Help.

FactorForm[n_Integer] := Times @@
   ((HoldForm[#1^#2] & ) @@ #1 & ) /@ FactorInteger[n]

FactorForm[40]

FactorForm[425623016]

There is a certain advantage to explicitly displaying the '1' superscripts
here because it keep all the prime factors in sort order.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Dr. Wolfgang Hintze [mailto:weh at snafu.de]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

How can I get a conventional form output for the prime number
decomposition, e.g. {{2,3},{5,1}} as 2^3 5 ?

I have found some (rather cumbersome) method but it leaves the final
expression in "" when I put it into input format in order to transfer it
in simple text form to another application.

I'm sure that there is a simple way to achieve the goal.

Any idea is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Wolfgang