72 dpi vs actual dpi

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg65386] 72 dpi vs actual dpi
  • From: "Chris Chiasson" <chris.chiasson at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 06:34:32 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear Gurus,

In Windows, I have my screen dpi set to the physical pdi of the screen
... 86 dpi. This is nice, because things show up on screen the same
size that they will be when they're printed. When I tell Mathematica to
plot an image six inches wide with ImageSize->6*72, I get an image that
is about 5" wide on screen.

This indicates Mathematica is rendering to a screen it thinks is
running at

N[5/6*86]=71.666 or so dpi. (probably 72 dpi).

What is the way to tell Mathematica the physical dpi of the screen?

(yes, I checked my stylesheet magnification settings in the options
inspector - they're at 100%, as is the overall magnification)

Thank you,