Mathematica Question

Hello:

Is there a way in Mathematica to check whether an algebraic expression is
positive or negative, and a way to specify conditions on the variables in
the expression? For example, is there a way to check whether x^2 is positive
for any real x? I want to check this for a complicated
expression...basically the sign of the second derivative of a function.

Thank you very much for your help.

Bharat.