  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66397] Checking the sign of a Mathematical expression
  • From: "Bharat Bhole" <bbhole at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 02:16:02 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

 Hello:

Is there a way in Mathematica to check whether an algebraic expression is
positive or negative, and a way to specify conditions on the variables in
the expression? For example, is there a way to check whether x^2 is positive
for any real x? I want to check this for a complicated
expression...basically the sign of the second derivative of a function.

Thank you very much for your help.

I am sorry for posting this message again. I had not used the appropriate
subject line and thought I should change it.