FindRoot syntax?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66507] FindRoot syntax?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 03:30:02 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I just defined an expression making use of FindRoot[] in the form

   g[x_,y_] := g /. FindRoot[ f[g, x, y]==0, {g, 0, 1} ]

where  f[g,x,y]  is a simple expression involving g, x, and y, and it
seems to work just fine, churning out numerical values of g[x,y] for
numerical inputs of x and y, with no obvious problems.

I keep feeling guilty, however, as if I've done something sinful --
specifically that I should be using a different symbol name or dummy
variable in place of g on the right-hand side.

Is this syntax really OK?