Re: Reconstructing data points from a InterpolatingFunction object

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66515] Re: Reconstructing data points from a InterpolatingFunction object
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 03:30:38 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <e4bits$1a9$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 "Eckhard Schlemm" <e.schlemm at hotmail.de> wrote:

> I am nummerically solving a differential equation using NDSolve and then I
> want to apply a NonlinearFit on the resulting InterpolatingFunction
> object....

What do you want the NonlinearFit to do? Note that in Version 5 you can
use FindFit instead of NonlinearFit. Also, you can use
InterpolatingFunctions directly, rather than sampling or re-sampling
them.

I think a concrete example is likely to generate a more useful answer.

> and therefore need to have access to the data points which NDSolve
> created and from which the InterpolatingFunction is created....

I don't follow the use of therefore here. The data points at which
NDSolve samples the solution depends on the automatic and optional
settings supplied to NDSolve -- so I don't see why accessing these
points is required. You can, of course, just generate a Table of points
by re-sampling the InterpolatingFunction.

> Is there any fast and direct way to get these data points ?
> (There must be....)

See the Advanced Documentation for NDSolve. This can be opened directly
be executing the following command:

 NotebookOpen[FrontEnd`FileName[
  {$TopDirectory, "Documentation", "English","RefGuide",
    "AdvancedDocumentation","DifferentialEquations"}, "Packages.nb"]]

Cheers,
Paul

Paul Abbott                                      Phone:  61 8 6488 2734
School of Physics, M013                            Fax: +61 8 6488 1014
The University of Western Australia         (CRICOS Provider No 00126G)
AUSTRALIA                               http://physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul