Re: RE: Behavior of ReplaceAll with Computed Results from a Conditional Test

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66802] Re: [mg66770] RE: [mg66745] Behavior of ReplaceAll with Computed Results from a Conditional Test
  • From: "Chris Chiasson" <chris at chiasson.name>
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 05:49:52 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The delayed evaluation of all right hand sides until after all testing
seems to happen when Condition is not the head of either the left or
right hand side of a rule.

testQ[x_Symbol,y_Symbol,z_Symbol]:=(Print["testing tuple: ",{x,y,z}];
    If[x===z,seq=Unevaluated[Sequence[x^2,y]];True,False])

{{b,a,b},{a,b,c},{a,b,a}}/.{tuple___}/;
      testQ[tuple]\[RuleDelayed](Print["acting on tuple: ",{tuple},
        " to write sequence: ",{seq}];{seq})

{{b,a,b},{a,b,c},{a,b,
      a}}/.{tuple___}\[RuleDelayed](Print["acting on tuple: ",{tuple},
          " to write sequence: ",{seq}];{seq})/;testQ[tuple]

{{b,a,b},{a,b,c},{a,b,
      a}}/.{tuple___}\[RuleDelayed](Print["acting on tuple: ",{tuple},
        " to write sequence: ",{seq}];{seq}/;testQ[tuple])

Evaluate the above to see the results; then wrap the code in
FullForm[Hold[]] to see the structure. The only change from the 2nd
rule to the 3rd is the movement of "/;testQ[tuple]" inside the
parenthesis. This has the effect of bringing it inside
CompoundExpression, of which the infix form is usually a semicolon.
Perhaps the semicolon in the short form of Condition indicates
Condition is meant to become part of a preceeding (infix)
CompoundExpression.

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

--
http://chris.chiasson.name/