RE: FilledListPlot with StackGraphics

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66804] RE: [mg66765] FilledListPlot with StackGraphics
  • From: Hartmut.Wolf at t-systems.com
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 06:30:51 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
> Subject: [mg66804] [mg66765] FilledListPlot with StackGraphics
>
> Hi, all.
>

> I am trying to use FilledListPlot with StackGraphics. The plot of
> FilledListPlot looks fine, but when I bring it to 3D with
> StackGraphics, it
> ``overfilled''. I know that I can use Fills-> White in order
> not to show
> this overfilled region. However, since I am trying to use
> several layers,
> this overfilled region blocks the ones behind it. Here's my
> simplified code.
>

> <<Graphics`FilledPlot`
>
> <<Graphics`Graphics3D`
>

> FLP = FilledListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 2}}];
>
> Show[StackGraphics[FLP]];
>

> In my code, there is a step plot in FilledListPlot. However, in 3D
> (StackGraphics), there is an extra filled triangle with
> points (1,1), (2,1),
> and (2,2), which is not filled in FilledListPlot.
>

> How can I get rid of this extra filled region?
>

> Thank you for reading. Have a good day.
>

> Seo Ho

Seo Ho,

if g = Show[StackGraphics[FLP]] then

In[10]:= g /. Polygon[pts_] :> Polygon[RotateLeft[pts]]
In[11]:= % // Show

resolves the problem of your example (but certainly not of your application).

The problem with the Mathematica 3D Polygon is that it must be star convex to display properly, and the starting point and each line segment from the starting point to any vertex must be contained within the polygon.

Such in general you have to cut your polygons from FilledListPlot into parts with that property. In particular a convex decomposition would do. You certainly will find some Mathematica software out there that does this job. Then you have to tie it together for your application.

--
Hartmut