SparseArray error

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg70916] SparseArray error
  • From: "mike" <mike.crosier at googlemail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 03:56:10 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a hash table-type structure indexed by integers in
the range 1..maxIndex, where maxIndex is potentially very large.
SparseArray[{}, maxIndex] seems to achieve the desired effect when
maxIndex <= 2^31-1, but for 2^31 and larger I'm getting an error:

SparseArray::dims: The dimensions 2147483648 in SparseArray[{},
2147483648] are not a list of positive integers.

I'm relatively new to Mathematica and haven't come across anything like
this before, so any insight into what might be happening or possible
workarounds would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mike