RE: Adding a key binding for a Style

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg70935] RE: [mg70911] Adding a key binding for a Style
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 06:47:19 -0500 (EST)

The style sheet assigns keys implicitly in the order that the cell styles
appear in the style notebook. Alt-1 to Alt-9. After that it does not assign
a key. You don't actually need a key for Input as that is the default style.

To insert a key for a new cell style you will have to put the cell style in
the style notebook in a correct place so that it will catch a key number.
You could put it just before the standard Input cell and usurp Alt-9.

But be careful about putting it early in the notebook and bumping all of the
standard cell style keys. I consider that very bad form! I always expect
Alt-7 to generate a Text cell. Users will not want to learn a whole new key
structure for your notebooks, and then another one for someone else's

If you wanted to usurp the Title key, say, you could put your new style
first, but then move the Title definition to a later part of the style sheet
notebook, keeping all the other keys the same.

David Park
djmp at