Challenge problem

I recently received the annual newsletter from the Math-Stats department
of my undergraduate alma mater. In part of the newsletter they posed the
following challenge problem:

"For which rational numbers q is 3q^3 + 10q^2 + 3q an integer?"

The problem comes from an annual mathematics competition the school
sponsors.  I fumbled around a bit, using Mathematica v5.2 to attempt an answer,
but without much luck. Of course I'm a statistician, not an algebraist
:-). But my curiosity is now piqued and I was wondering if someone might
outline an elegant answer using Mathematica.

Thanks,

-Mark