emacs key combinations on notebooks

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg71444] emacs key combinations on notebooks
  • From: "agarzon" <agarzon75 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 04:41:14 -0500 (EST)

Hi, I'm working with Mathematica version 5.0.1.0 on Linux. In an older
version of
Mathematica I used to move inside the input cells (in the notebooks)
with emacs
key-combinations, like control-e (to move the cursor to the end of the
line), control-a
(to move cursor to the beginning of the line), etc. I have looked
around the help material
 to see how to enable this feature in my new version but I haven't
found any entry
related to it. Surprisingly the work "emacs" doesn't return any matches
when entered in
 the help browser. My first question is if somebody knows if emacs
key-combinations
are available in Mathematica version 5.0.1.0 (in the notebooks) and how
to enable them.

I know there are elisp files to work with mathematica on emacs. I have
tried mathematica.el
by Jim Pivarski. It is great to have all the text edition capabilities
of emacs for typing input,
but it is heartbreaking to see the output in the emacs text interface.
On the other hand the text
edition features on the notebooks are very limited,and is really
annoying to move around using
the mouse or the arrow keys, but it is really convenient to see the
output in mathematical notation.
My question is if there is any way to combine emacs style input with
notebook style output.
I'd like also to hear comments or suggestions from people who share
this point of view
and maybe had established a work methodology to overcome the
difficulties on either side or both.
Thanks.