MathGroup Archive 2006

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Summations in a Text Cell

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg71461] Summations in a Text Cell
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 02:43:39 -0500 (EST)

Re Mathematica 5.2 under WinXP.

The goal is to open a new text cell and within it, write prose that includes  summation expressions (each created via the Basic Input Palette).   Everything is to stay within the cell.

When I punch the summation button, the indexing parameters appear as sub/superscripts, whereas I want them atop/under the Sigma sign (as in an Input cell).  How can this be done?  Although it works in the following instance, I seek a way that works anywhere within the text cell.

Sometimes it works to convert the completed text cell to Standard  Form.  Thus, "hello there SUMMATIONterm" converts properly, but not "hello there, SUMMATIONterm" (the offending comma produces a beep).   This seems to work when the entire passage is a "valid" mathematical expression.  I've also discovered that this works with some style sheets but fails with others.  

I've tried creating the summation expression in its own input cell and when done, converting this to a text cell.  Unfortunately, when copied to another text cell, the indexing reverts to the undesired sub/superscripted form.

Tech support says this is a bug that won't afflict 6.0.  In the meantime, someone out there knows the (undoubtedly simple) workaround.  If so, please share it.  Thanks.

Bruce

• Prev by Date: Re: Why does this lead to an answer with complex numbers?
  • Next by Date: Re: Coercion into series
  • Previous by thread: Re: delimiters not spanning!
  • Next by thread: Re: Summations in a Text Cell