Re: Version 5.2 Pi computation speed is simply amazing.
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg71568] Re: Version 5.2 Pi computation speed is simply amazing.
- From: snoofly <snoofly at snoofly.com>
- Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 05:41:39 -0500 (EST)
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Zeno wrote: > Version 5.2 computes Pi to a million places more than 11 times faster > than version 4.2 does on my same machine. (Computed in 37.32 seconds on > a G4 933 Mhz OS X machine, actual time to show full result on screen.) > This speed is simply amazing, considering it is almost as fast as the > fastest AGM-Borwein programs to compute pi. However, those slightly > faster AGM-Borwein programs require the number of digits computed to be > a power of 2, where in Mathematica one can stipulate a completely > arbitray number of digits for output. > This performance in version 5.2 is nothing short of amazing. Great work > there. :) > perhaps mathematica is using the borwein algorithms and simply truncating the result of the next highest power of two to that inputted value do timings in the locale of a power of two seem smooth?