draw vertical cylinder with no surface lines

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg71588] draw vertical cylinder with no surface lines
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 01:17:08 -0500 (EST)

For an illustration, I want to draw a closed cylindrical "can" -- a
cylinder with its axis vertical -- along with arrows (with labels)
indicating radius and height.

The ways I've found, either using  Graphics`Shapes`Cylinder or
ParametricPlot3D, insist on drawing curves on the vertical wall of the
cylinder and, if I use ParametricPlot3D to draw the top, too, on the top.

Is there some way to suppress these curves?  Of course I still need the
circles bounding the top and bottom to be drawn as well as two vertical
lines that demarcate the wall of the cylinder from the ambient space.  I
just want to rely upon lighting and shading to suggest the
three-dimensionality.

Here's my effort so far using DrawGraphics:

SetOptions[Arrow3D,HeadScaling3D->1,HeadLength3D->0.25,
   HeadWidth3D->0.55];

Draw3DItems[{
    SurfaceColor[Honeydew,Honeydew,2],
    ParametricDraw3D[{Cos[\[Phi]],Sin[\[Phi]],z},{\[Phi],0,2Pi},{z,0,2},
       PlotPoints->{51,2}],

    SurfaceColor[Honeydew,Honeydew],
    CylindricalDraw3D[2,{r,0,1},{\[Phi],0,2Pi},PlotPoints->{2,51}],

    Thickness[0.02],Cobalt,SurfaceColor[PrussianBlue],
       Arrow3D[{0,0,2},{0.9165,-0.4,2}]
    },
    Boxed->False];

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu