draw vertical cylinder with no surface lines

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg71588] draw vertical cylinder with no surface lines
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 01:17:08 -0500 (EST)

For an illustration, I want to draw a closed cylindrical "can" -- a
cylinder with its axis vertical -- along with arrows (with labels)
indicating radius and height.

The ways I've found, either using  Graphics`Shapes`Cylinder or
ParametricPlot3D, insist on drawing curves on the vertical wall of the
cylinder and, if I use ParametricPlot3D to draw the top, too, on the top.

Is there some way to suppress these curves?  Of course I still need the
circles bounding the top and bottom to be drawn as well as two vertical
lines that demarcate the wall of the cylinder from the ambient space.  I
just want to rely upon lighting and shading to suggest the

Here's my effort so far using DrawGraphics:

Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305