Strange use of FrontEnd`FileName

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg71664] Strange use of FrontEnd`FileName
  • From: "Philipp" <Philipp.M.O at>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 03:48:46 -0500 (EST)

In the Wolfram documentation (Services & Resources > Mathematica >
Kernels and Programming) there is a method "How can I automatically set
Mathematica's working directory to the same directory containing my

The statement is,

 Extract["FileName" /. NotebookInformation[EvaluationNotebook[]], {1},

Would somebody kindly explain to me as to why Extract wraps the
extracted directory list in FrontEnd`FileName before ToFileName is

Nominally, it shouldn't work. The ToFileName documentation indicates
that the directory argument can have "only" a String or List head.

P.S. I realise FrontEnd`FileName has HoldAll attribute. This only leads
to an additional question, why the directory list needs to be passed to
ToFileName unevaluated. P.