RE: Functional decomposition (solving f[f[x]] = g[x] for given g)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg71839] RE: [mg71764] Functional decomposition (solving f[f[x]] = g[x] for given g)
  • From: "Ingolf Dahl" <ingolf.dahl at telia.com>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 06:05:45 -0500 (EST)

Hi Kelly,
Here is a rapid amateur answer (but without scary rhymes, as in my last
answer). If you are satisfied with the numerical values of the function, you
can investigate

g[x_]:=1+x^2;
ginv[x_]:=Sqrt[x-1];
f[x_Real]:=Nest[ginv,Power[Nest[g,x,9],Sqrt[2]],9]

f[x_Real] appears to be a good solution to f[f[x]] == g[x] to approximate
machine precision. The solution is based on two observations:
1) Nest[g,x,9] is equivalent to Nest[f,x,18], and we reach very large values
when this is calculated. There g[x] is approximately equal to x^2 (to
machine precision), and f[x] can be approximated by x^Sqrt[2]. Thus we might
reach a good approximation of Nest[f,x,19] by Power[Nest[g,x,9],Sqrt[2]].
2) We can then apply the inverse function ginv of g 9 times to reach f[x].
The relative error is reduced by the application of the inverse function.

We can note that f[0.] is 0.6420945043908285` which do not appear to be a
known mathematical constant. But now it is. (If someone can check... I
cannot reach the "The Inverse Symbolic Calculator" at CESM. Is it down?)

Generalize and write  f[x] as  DecompositionPower[x,1/2] and the solution to
f[f[f[x]]]\[Equal]g[x] as DecompositionPower[x,1/3] For the given function g
then we can try

DecompositionPower[x_,p_]:=Nest[ginv,Power[Nest[g,x,9],Power[2,p]],9]

and we might for instance plot

Plot[DecompositionPower[0.,p],{p,0,1}]

The function DecompositionPower[x_,p_] should be quite easy to generalize to
a large set of polynomial functions g. Maybe it then should have the name
FractionalNest?

Best regards

Ingolf Dahl