unexpected operator error - 5.2 on linux

Hi

I installed Mathematica 5.2 on Linux (Kubuntu 6.10) and every time I
start a new kernel I get the following error:
"[: 215: ==: unexpected operator"

This also happens as soon as I run "math" in the terminal.

Apart from this, it runs fine.  It's a minor annoyance but not fatal.
Has anyone an idea on what is wrong?

Cheers,
  -Tim