Re: variance of product of random variables

Dear Frank,

All depends on the correlation functions (the linear and the higher
ones) of the two variables a and b.

If a and b were completly uncorrelated (not even non-linear
correlations among them),
then you can compute the variance of their product quite easily

v(b) <a> + v(a) v(b);
v(a)=<a^2>-<a>^2, v(b)=<b^2>-<b>^2

here v(.) denotes variance, <.> denotes mean.
Note that we do not have to assume normal distributions for a and b,
essential is that their are uncorrelated, hence the means of products
factor into products of means.

Bye
Ben