$TraceOn $TraceOff TraceDialog

The Mathematica documentation says the $TraceOn and $TraceOff values
can be modified during a Trace (and assumedly a TraceDialog). Will
someone please give an example of how to use $TraceOn and $TraceOff
during a TraceDialog command? I have tried, but it seems like
Mathematica is ignoring the pattern to which I set $TraceOff
(Blank[]). Thus it never even gets around to looking at $TraceOn. So I
am forced to look at all expressions and Return[] each one...

--
http://chris.chiasson.name/