Problem with nested NIntegrate[]

Hello,

I encountered some strange behaviour of NIntegrate when I use a
somewhat neseted structure of several - in my example of two -
NIntegrate[] functions

NIntegrate[NIntegrate[y,{x,-1,1}],{y,-1,1}]

This gives me the error

NIntegrate::"num Integrand y is not numerical at {x) = 0

Why does the inner NIntegrate function not know, what value is
currently assigned to y...

I hope someone can shed a little light on that seemingly paradoxical
behaviour.

thanks in advance

Eckhard