RE: RelaTime3D

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg70328] RE: [mg70293] RelaTime3D
  • From: "Ingolf Dahl" <ingolf.dahl at>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 01:30:18 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Dimitris,
Usually graphs in Mathematica are rendered by producing PostScript code,
which is then rendered by the FrontEnd using a built-in PostScript
interpreter (which just manages 2D graphics). You can see the PostScript
code by applying the menu command "Show expression" to a cell with graphics.
The Wolfram people have a long time tried to replace this interpreter with a
new one, allowing real and interactive 3D graphics. It did not appear with
Mathematica 5, but I believe and I think we all hope that the new rendering
will appear with Mathematica 6, whenever that will appear. I think the
RealTime3D was a very preliminary, and maybe not compatible, version of this
new rendering machine. It is included with Mathematica, but they do not make
very much fuzz about it, since it is so limited in what kind of graphics it
is capable of displaying. If you install my TaggedCells package (still beta
version, see ), there is a
ShowTo3DBoxedCell command there, which enables you to display RealTime3D
graphics mixed with ordinary graphics, without having to change the mode of
Mathematica. (It is even possible to make some animations if you can stand a
somewhat low update speed.) If you apply ShowExpression on such a cell, you
will not see any PostScript code, instead you will see a Graphics3D or
SurfaceGraphics expression.

Best regards

Ingolf Dahl