RE: path for package

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg70391] RE: [mg70366] path for package
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 00:19:01 -0400 (EDT)

1) How did you make your .m file? The easiest method is to make a regular
Mathematica .nb notebook with the package statements as Initialization
Cells. Say that your notebook is named mypackage.nb Save the notebook as an
Auto Save Package, which automatically creates the my package.m file. (You
do this with the regular Save or SaveAs command and the Auto Save Package
choice comes up the first time you save. You can also specify this in the
Option Inspector.) You never have to look at the mypackage.m file. Each time
you update mypackage.nb and save, the mypackage.m file will also be updated.

2) Create a folder 'myfolder' in your Applications folder and put the
notebook and package there. (Actually create this folder first and put the
notebook there to begin with.) So you will have

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local
Settings\Application Data\Mathematica\Applications\myfolder\

3) Now to tie this all together write your BeginPackage statement as

That is, the BeginPackage statement gives the path from the Applications
folder (where Mathematica will automatically look) to your package.

4) Load the package from anywhere with

Of course, 'myfolder' and 'mypackage' can be any names you choose. It is
better to have a package in a specific folder where users and Mathematica
can always find it than to just have it lying around anywhere. Also, this
then works just like the standard packages.

David Park
djmp at

From: Akane Tendo [mailto:odneTenakA at]
To: mathgroup at

In which user directory should I put a package .m file to load the package?
I already tried C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local
Settings\Application Data\Mathematica\Applications but then I load the
package and it fails.

Thank you!