Question from a biologist

I'm trying to simulate some chemical reactions in mathematica using ODEs. I want to keep some of the variables (the parameters in the differential equations) constant during the simulation. Right now, I have to look for the first derivative of every variable in a sea of differential equations and set it to zero. Is there a more "elegant" way to do this in mathematica?