How to make an inline cell (inside a Text cell) to be a centered equation?

hello;

I am trying to learn how to use Mathematica to write my homeworks with. The
first thing I tried is the following:

Start with a text cell, write something, then create an inline cell
(Ctrl-9), then write some equation. Now I want this equation to be centered
equation. In Latex terms, this equation will be on its own new line and will
be centered on the line.

I found I can make numbered equations using report style. But that is not
what I am looking for exactly. Also tried 'display formula' and 'inline
formula'.

I need a short cut to make any inline cell be a centered equation easily
without having to copy it and manually trying to center it on its own line.

Is it possible to do this in Mathematica? I am using 5.2

thanks,
Nasser